Sunday, July 17, 2011

Selling Vintage Movie Posters to Famous People

Selling and collecting vintage movie posters is my hobby, it brings me into contact with many different people from different continents. I have sold to collectors and enthusiasts from Canada, USA, Brazil, Peru, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and most of Europe. One of the best things that transpires after selling a poster are the replies of the buyer. I have been lucky enough and consider it an honor to sell posters to famous people and their relatives. Here is just one story of those moments.

I purchased a lovely collection of posters dated from 1950-1960 from a local auction room. After sorting through them I decided to put some up on Ebay for sale. One such poster was from a film called She Played with Fire, a 1957 film starring Jack Hawkins and Arlene Dahl. The film was also known in the United Kingdom as 'Fortune is a Woman'.

For people not familiar with her films she also starred in Journey to the Centre of the Earth. So I woke up one morning and checked Ebay and found that someone had purchased this poster, after going through the usual form of a sale, emailing them a delivery date and then shipping the poster off, it was only when I received feedback that I noticed the username of the client in connection with the poster. I then decide to email the buyer to ask if there was any connection with Arlene Dahl. Not really expecting a reply back I received an email a few days later... saying it was Ms Dahls secretary purchasing the poster on behalf of Arlene Dahl!. I emailed back saying it was a privilege to offer her a poster and wondered why she hadn't got a poster of this film. Maybe it is because once the film industry have finished making money out of you they really don't care, I don't know. After a few corresponding emails the final one I received was that Ms Dahl was very pleased with the poster and to pass on her gratitude.

It's stories like these that bring a smile to my face, someone like Arlene Dahl who made thousands of people smile with her films in the late 1940s until the early 1960s, showing appreciation to a movie poster seller across the sea.

Arlene Dahl quit the film business in 1957 to become a beauty columnist and writer then in later years a businesswoman founding Arlene Dahl Enterprises marketing cosmetics.

www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk

http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/ - vintage movie posters for sale 1920s-2000s


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment